More than Half of Sudan’s Population needs Humanitarian Aid, According to the United Nations
On Wednesday, the United Nations estimated that the number of people in need of humanitarian aid in Sudan is about 25 million, and about $3.03 billion the volume of emergency aid needed by the country and those fleeing the war to neighboring countries, whose number is expected to exceed one million this year.
Humanitarian needs have worsened since a bloody conflict broke out in Sudan on April 15th, according to the United Nations, which has revised its crisis response plan.
“Today, 25 million people – more than half of Sudan’s population – need humanitarian assistance and protection,” Ramesh Rajasingham, director of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Geneva, told reporters, explaining that this number is “the largest number” of people in need of humanitarian aid recorded by the UN agency in this country. Absolutely.
The United Nations reported that it expects to need 2.56 billion dollars to provide aid inside Sudanese territory, compared to 1.75 billion dollars, according to estimates at the end of last year.
The money will allow relief agencies to reach the 18 million most vulnerable people in the country, according to Rajasingham.
Battles broke out in the middle of last month between the Army Commander, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, and the Commander of the Rapid Support Forces, Lieutenant General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.
About a thousand people were killed, most of them in and around Khartoum and in West Darfur state, according to medical sources.
More than five thousand people have been injured, while millions are still stuck in their homes and unable to access basic services and health care, according to Rajasingham.
The UN official also alerted to “disturbing reports of an increase in sexual violence,” warning that “children are particularly vulnerable in this unfolding chaos.”
The fighting has deepened the humanitarian crisis in Sudan, where even before the war, one in three people depended on humanitarian assistance.
Rajasingham expressed his regret that humanitarian workers were subjected to several attacks, including those killed, while offices and stocks were looted.
He expressed the hope that the warring parties would abide by the humanitarian rules they reached last week regarding the evacuation of civilians from combat zones and the provision of safe passages for the transport of humanitarian aid.
He pointed out that the fighters withdrew from some health facilities that were previously occupied, indicating an increase in aid deliveries, but he stressed, however, that “more is needed.”
“The crisis in Sudan is rapidly turning into a regional crisis,” he said.
At the same time, the UN agency indicated that it needs an additional $470.4 million to help people who have fled the country, adding that it is currently preparing to secure the needs of up to 1.1 million people who are expected to flee Sudan during the current year alone.
Just two weeks ago, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said it would need $445 million through October to meet the needs of up to 860,000 people who may flee the country.
“So far, the crisis that began just a month ago has led to a massive influx into neighboring countries of some 220,000 refugees and returnees seeking safety in Chad, South Sudan, Egypt, Central African Republic and Ethiopia,” Assistant High Commissioner for Operations Rauf Mazou told reporters.
In addition, more than 700,000 people have been displaced within Sudan as a result of the fighting.
The United Nations expects that among the more than one million people expected to flee Sudan, about 640,000 Sudanese and 204,000 people who were refugees in Sudan may return to their homeland, perhaps mainly South Sudan.
About 1.1 million refugees were living in Sudan before the conflict began.
In Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the two sides are still holding talks about a “humanitarian” ceasefire to allow civilians out and aid to enter.
Also in the Saudi city, which is hosting an Arab summit on Friday, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan discussed with the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States Ahmed Aboul Gheit the issue of the conflict in Sudan.
All three of them expressed their support for a cease-fire, but without proposing any broad lines for it, while the Arab countries are deeply divided over Sudan, as Daglo is a major ally of the UAE, while Egypt throws its weight behind Al-Burhan, and Saudi Arabia seeks to mediate negotiations between the two generals.
On Wednesday, Kenya’s President William Ruto called on the two generals to “stop this absurdity.”
However, the “Rift Valley” research institute warned in a report that “it is difficult to imagine how to force (the two generals) to stop the violence,” despite the launch of the talks in Jeddah.
Diplomatic efforts are increasing in all directions – and they are clearly parallel – in light of the fact that no one has yet succeeded in forcing the two generals to stop the fighting, amid fears in Sudan’s neighboring countries of the contagion of the conflict.
The institute stressed that “both of them view the presence of the other as a threat.”
And the two warring men can draw on old grudges to mobilize around them, according to analysts.
Their bloody conflict also left behind a competition between a population that historically monopolized power and resources, and other marginalized components of an ethnic mosaic in Sudan.
“If the conflict continues, the chances of outside parties being involved will increase,” the Rift Valley Institute added.