More than 45 people were killed in an Israeli bombing on a refugee Al-Maghazi camp in central Gaza on Saturday, the Palestinian health ministry there said, amid Israel’s ongoing bombardment on the besieged territory.
Hamas said in a statement posted on Telegram that Israel had “directly” bombed citizens’ homes, adding that most of the deaths consisted of women and children.
“More than 30 (dead) arrived at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir Al-Balah in the massacre committed by the occupation in Al-Maghazi camp in the central Gaza Strip,” health ministry spokesperson Ashraf Al-Qudra said in a statement.
“An Israeli air strike targeted my neighbours’ house in Al-Maghazi camp, my house next door partially collapsed,” said Mohammed Alaloul, 37, a journalist working for Anadolu Agency.
Alaloul told AFP his 14-year-old son, Ahmed, and his 4-year-old son, Qais, were killed in the attack, along with his brother. His wife, mother, and two other children were injured.
An Israeli military spokesperson said they were looking into whether Israeli forces had been operating in the area at the time of the bombing.
The October 7 attack by Hamas led to the deaths of more than 1,400 people. More than 240 Israeli and foreign hostages were also abducted during the attack.
The health ministry in Gaza, says more than 9,480 Gazans, mostly women and children, have been killed in Israeli strikes and the intensifying ground campaign.